Carbon monoxide (CO) is unusually dangerous because it cannot be seen or smelled even in high concentrations. Death can occur within minutes of exposure. Hundreds of people die annually from accidental poisoning caused by the improper use or malfunction of fuel-burning appliances, or from carbon monoxide emitted from idling cars. Unborn children, infants, the elderly, and individuals with anemia or a history of heart or respiratory disease can be especially susceptible.
Any burning fuel produces carbon monoxide including:
If fuel-burning appliances are maintained and used properly, the amount of CO produced is usually not hazardous. However, if neglected or used incorrectly, these same items can become deadly.
The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to the flu, food poisoning and other illnesses. At low levels of exposure, symptoms can include:
At low levels of exposure symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning can include:
- Shortness of breath
- Mild nausea
- Mild headaches
At moderate levels symptoms progress to:
- Severe headaches
- Mental confusion
If you or a loved one has been a victim of carbon monoxide poisoning, seek medical care immediately. To evaluate the incident, and to determine if negligence is involved, contact a qualified legal professional as soon as possible. The Bernard Law Group is committed to helping victims whose rights are violated. We fight without rest using every avenue of the law available to us until justice has been served.
IF YOU, OR A LOVED ONE, HAVE BEEN SERIOUSLY INJURED – CALL TODAY FOR A FREE CONSULTATION!