Video Monitors Recalled for Strangulation Deaths

Video monitors used to watch sleeping babies are being recalled because they have been linked to infant strangulation deaths, according to news reports.

Summer Infant video baby monitors have electrical cords that could be a strangulation hazard if placed too close to babies’ cribs, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Two deaths have already been linked to the baby monitors, including a 10-month of girl and a 6-month-old boy who strangled in the electrical cord placed near their cribs. Another 20-month-old boy nearly strangled in the cord.

Nearly 1.7 million of the handheld, digital and color monitors are being recalled.

“In addition to the recall linked to strangulations, Summer Infant also is recalling the rechargeable batteries in another 58,000 video monitors exclusively sold at Babies R Us in 2009 and 2010. The commission says the batteries sold with certain Slim and Secure Video Monitors can overheat, rupture and possibly burn people.”

As a Seattle personal injury lawyer, I’m saddened to hear about these infant deaths. I urge parents to reposition the monitors to keep the cords away from children, return the items or throw them away. Summer Infant is not offering to replace the products, but will offer new on-product warning labels and instructions about monitor placement. I urge the company to take responsibility in ensuring consumer safety with all their products and work on producing wireless monitors.

If you or a loved one has been injured by a recalled product, contact a personal injury lawyer in Seattle.