fbpx

Infant’s Death Prompts Window Blind Recall

The death of a one-year-old boy has prompted the recall of nearly 90,000 blinds and shades manufactured by Hanover Direct.

The 22-month old child was strangled in May 2010 by the outer pull chords of a Roman shade, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. As a Seattle personal injury attorney, I urge parents to look out for dangerous blind chords. Children can easily put their neck between the chord and fabric of the blind or wrap the cord around their neck, causing a high-risk strangulation hazard.

The window shades were sold at Hanover Direct/Domestications online and through a catalog from January 2004 to December 2008 for $20-$40. Involved in the recall are Faux Seude room darkening Roman shades with style number 12810A, sold in Ivory, Taupe, Gold, Plum, Wine Red, Midnight Blue, Moss Green and Dark Brown colors which have a head rail measuring 23, 27, 31, 35, 39, 43, or 48 inches. The shades have a sticker with letters “WS” and “style 12810A” printed on the packaging.

Another child was almost fatally injured by the blinds in Oct. 2009, when a two-year-old climbed up a toy chest to look out the window when he became entangled in the cords of a Roman shade. Thankfully, no personal injuries were sustained.

Consumers are advised to immediately discontinue use and contact Hanover for a free retrofit kit which removes cords from the shades. Reach Hanover at 1-800-524-0497.